So, here we have it our take on Jamaica’s number #1 breakfast. This is a delicious meal you can have anytime of day, but it is definitely the best start to any morning.
- Start by putting salt fish into a pot.
- Fill the pot with water about ¾ full
- Place pot on a low fire and start to cook out the salt from the salt fish, for about 45 minutes
- Repeat the process again then turn off the heat.
- Chop 1 whole onion
- Chop 3 spring onions
- Chop 1 red whole bell pepper
- 1 Deseeded Scotch Bonnet Pepper, chopped fine.
- Heat a large enough frying pan to hold all the vegetables, salt fish and ackee.
- Add 50mls of olive oil or vegetable oil
- Once the oil is hot
- Add the onions and peppers
- 1tbs all purpose seasoning
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Add 1 tbs tomato puree
- Stir and cook till veg is soft
- Drain the salt fish and add it to the pan of cooking veg.
- Stir in and break up the salt fish. Keep stirring until everything is the same temperature
- Add the Ackee stir very lightly and be careful not to mash up the ackee, as Ackee chunks are better than sludgy Ackee.
Once cook through it is ready to serve