Ingredients for 1 whole chicken chopped into desired pieces.
- Spices – 1/2tsp Nutmeg, 1 heap tbs pimento, 1/2tsp cinnamon
These are the 3 essential spices you will need to create that unmistakable taste that everyone loves. From this point you can go ahead and start to add the herb and spices you love to create your own unique and original jerk rub. Or you can try using these extra’s below.
- Heat – Our suggestion is to deseed and chop 2 scotch bonnet, or Chilly flakes, or cayenne pepper.
- Sweet – 1tbs Brown sugar helps to round off those hearty flavours, however you can also use 3tbs tomato ketchup.
- Seasoning – 4tbs of All purpose seasoning.
- Herbs – 1tsp of Dried parsley, thyme and mixed herbs
- Vegetable – 1 Spring onion (green part only), fresh ginger root, about half the size of your index finger and 4 or 5 Fresh chopped garlic cloves.
- Oil – 50mls Olive oil, or Vegetable oil.
- 1tbs of browning colouring
Blitz this mixture together in a blender, until it becomes a thick paste. Now Your rub is complete
Wash your chicken Jamaican style using – Lemon, Vinegar and Salt.
Once your chicken is clean. Scoop out all your Jerk paste and smother over your chicken pieces. massage with your hands.
Place your seasoned pieces of chicken in a bowl, cover with cling film and pop into the fridge overnight.
Fire up the barbecue and cook your chicken until it is no longer pink inside. Alternatively, you can place the chicken pieces on a tray and pop it into your oven for 90 minutes at around 210c or 220c. Turn the pieces from time to time and brush the chicken with the juices in the pan.
In Jamaica we normally use a dry rub paste to season our meat. “Why”? well it’s simple, because Nanny said so! Nuff said.
Get cooking and let us know how you got on in the comments section below